Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Who Fired That Shot?


I got a funny email that I want to share with all of you; however, I tried to pull it out and post it here and it wouldn’t transfer. I suppose I could email it along so that you got the band and music that goes along with it. After I get through blogging I will send it to my own group and leave it up to them to “pass it” along.

I suppose I should share a little history; as you know I am a retired cop and some of that time was spent on night shift. Most people are unaware that in order to fit in on night shift an officer must be able to pass wind, without concern for basic civility, on cue. This is reserved for when a bulletin from either the mayor’s office or the chief’s office is read during roll call, at that moment an inappropriate response can be “generated”.

Not to brag; but I was able to provide such inappropriate responses on a regular basis because I had graduated from the Donnie White school of etiquette. He was my regular partner for a while downtown. I learned the finer points of “grossing out” the public from Donnie. He would wait until the elevator doors closed before letting go with such an inappropriate exclamation followed closely with some sort of giggle or similar acknowledgement while the good citizens waited for the elevator to reach the next floor.
Donnie ( might not think this was such a good idea so I will not mention his last name, White ) often would share his attitude and respect for our supervisory staff after similar exclamations by asking, “Sgt. Who?”

I was in traffic court one time sitting next to my good old partner when I happened to let one go. I had not intended to be quite so, what is the word, bold? Maybe bold is the wrong word; loud, crisp or profound might apply. One of the traffic lawyers from the other side of the aisle jumped on the opportunity, “Who Fired That Shot?”, and yes, those are capital letters. My partner started to blush and so they all figured he was the culprit; I never was “so relieved”, pardon the pun.

When my grandson, JJ, and I walk Puppy I make sure to let a few “Sgt. Who’s” break the silence. JJ thinks it’s silly and laughs, wondering why I call them “Sgt. Who”. I think it’s part of my job to corrupt his young mind. Maybe one day he will want to work night shift.

No comments: