Sunday, June 26, 2005

Majoring in Minor Things


I live in a very nice neighborhood. I often have to pinch myself when I think of how many blessing I enjoy; beautiful trees and shrubs, manicured lawns and well complimented homes all around my own lovely home. There’s a golf course and country club within a few blocks with a tree lined divided road where I can exit the neighborhood and extend my visual enjoyment and still end up on a major thoroughfare.

I happened to notice a sign posted as I drove in that way to alert everyone to a “town meeting” this Wednesday. A quick glance let me understand that I was supposed to be upset over the amount of noise generated by passing airplanes as they followed the invisible corridors that lead to the airport, some 10 miles to the East of here.

I have to wonder about the irritability level that some of my neighbors must have. In the first place, that airport didn’t appear over night. It’s been there for a very long time, maybe even before these homes were constructed. To be sure, they have added and expanded to the airport to match or attempt to match the growth Houston has generated; however, I can’t see how complaining about airplanes headed to the airport, something that airplanes generally do upon arrival, will accomplish anything other than to alert everyone to the fact that we have become spoiled and self centered beyond reason. I happen to enjoy watching these marvelous contraptions as they gracefully and methodically make their way past our area.

It's not as if my house were being rattled and shaken to its foundations even though they do make some interesting power down noises during the approach process; again, it’s not like they don’t make that same noise over other neighborhoods along the same basic flight path. I knew when I purchased my home that I was fairly close to the airport; I considered my relative position to such a fine airport a positive asset since I often have to use that facility and this way my trip is shortened.

I have to wonder about some of my neighbor’s priorities; some of them sure must be upset about the airplanes flying overhead or why call a special meeting about fixing that problem? Why hasn’t there been a door to door campaign calling all of us to arms regarding the Supreme Court Justice's ruling that virtually eliminated property rights of individuals? Some folks have the remarkable ability to major in minor things.

No comments: