Friday, January 27, 2006

Short Notes on Friday


I happened to glance out the dinning room window and noticed a Cardinal peeking back at me. Some day I’ll have a much nicer digital camera, one that will match what my 35mm SLR will do, telephoto lens and all; until then I’ll have to be happy with what I have. I took the picture and the bird flew off as soon as it figured out what I was doing. I’d hoped to get in a bit closer for details, oh well.

This is for all you folks up North; while driving through my neighborhood I noticed that the Dogwood are in full bloom in a few yards, Spring is almost here. I know, that was cruel and inhumane for those shoveling snow just so they can get the car out of the driveway.

Ever have a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach? I had that this morning when I was about to complete my first lock job. I’d figured out the cuts on the key for an 02 Pontiac Grand Am and all I planned to do was buff the key with one of the files I keep in my tool box. I reached for the tool box and there was an empty spot in the back of my truck; it wasn’t there. That’s when you start wondering if somebody broke in and stole it and start a quick inventory of the other important tools. I then tried to remember when I last used that tool box; yesterday I was very busy, past when the sun went down. I called a jobsite where I’d used it, described the small tackle box and was relieved when he said it was right where I’d left it. That’s what I get for working on past when my brain had already gone home; I guess I really can do this in my sleep.

I have a chance to visit my folks in Florida this weekend due to some nice airfare specials that we get from time to time. I’ll only be there a couple of days and fly back very early Tuesday morning, enough to go bowling with my dad on Monday, watch a DVD movie or two with my mom and enjoy the conversation. Bonnie, my oldest daughter, is working a job this week in Ft. Lauderdale and will likely drive up Sunday so we can all have dinner together.

Roxie, one of our dogs, is going in to be “fixed” Tuesday; no more puppies. She’s actually my son’s dog and lives with us. When she got “placed” with us, a nice way of saying “dumped”, we had no idea she was already well on the way to having a batch of puppies. That was an interesting experience, one that I think I’ll list as “one time only”. I posted pictures last Summer if you want to look through the archives of June or July.

With Roxie going in early Tuesday Lucy will be sort of busy. The good thing is that Bonnie flies home to Houston on Monday and this will be a chance for her to pick me up at the airport; a nice change since I’m the one picking her up most of the time.

I drove in the driveway and noticed that Bonnie’s car and Lucy’s car were gone. Did I mention the part about getting a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach; yes, I did. I was finally able to get Lucy to answer her cell phone and found that Jennifer came by to borrow it while Justin’s truck is having a brake job and oil change. If I were one to easily panic I’d have called in a police report by now.

Years ago my partner and I got called to make an auto theft report from a downtown parking garage across from a major office building. While we were writing the information down that the big boss was giving, his secretary kept trying to interrupt. The big boss was holding his temper and glared menacingly at the secretary and she went back to her desk having been reminded not to interrupt while the boss was talking. It was only later, after we were about to leave that the secretary came over to us and explained that her boss normally parked on the fifth level, except that it was full and so he parked one level higher and had forgotten. I bet she got taken out for dinner, either that or fired, one of the two for reminding the boss that his car hadn’t been stolen after all.
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: