Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Almost Father’s Day Gift


I got home a few minutes ago and had a Philly Cheese Steak that I bought from my friend Robert over at the Lenny’s Sandwich Shop he owns. I had my Dr Pepper, the one that I’d hidden in the refrigerator so it would be nice and cold by lunch time. I was in the den enjoying the extra grilled onions and savoring every bite when William showed me an Astros “Cuzy” that he bought at the ball game last night.

A friend of his got some last minute tickets in the Club Level, some big oil company perks that his dad couldn’t use. William saw this neat looking soda insulator device and brought it home; thinking that he’d keep it for himself, at least until he showed it to me and realized that it would make a neat Father’s Day gift.

I can remember working at the Astrodome when the team wore those funky looking uniforms. I never liked them all that much as they looked more like something a softball team might wear. I changed my mind the year Mike Scott pitched a no hitter to clinch a play off spot; 1986 if I’m not mistaken. That was the image that passed through as I saw the familiar jersey wrapped around my Dr Pepper bottle.

Last night’s game was a similar roller coaster ride with the Astros coming from behind to take the lead on an Ausmus two run homer ( his first homer all year ), a Lidge blown save in the 9th followed by a game winning single by Ausmus in the 11th. The boys had a great time and I got this silly looking Cuzy that will make me smile each time I have a soda. Thank you, William.

No comments: