Saturday, November 03, 2007

Entry 909


No, this isn’t a blog about the old Mork and Mindy television show; if I have to explain that…, never mind. I do own a pair of outrageous suspenders, multicolored stripes that remind me of that time. This is a follow up for Entry 908.

The shadow box was made by a friend of mine after I retired and hangs on the bedroom wall. It’s not a gold watch and I can’t wear it to church on Sunday; all the same it means a great deal to me. I’m proud to have earned the right to have it. The background was a pair of police issue pants even though the “thin blue line” is difficult to see. The shirt was taken apart and reassembled to create a pattern that could, at the same time, display the various items that would be found on my police shirt.

When I was a very young police officer the shirts were a darker steel blue and made of wool. Silver buttons had to be clipped onto the shirt along with the name tag, badge and the “PD’s”. Lucy would iron and then “prepare” my shirts, almost a ritual she performed daily until the modern light blue shirt was issued and did away with the cumbersome clip on buttons.

No comments: