Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sorry I’ve Not Written Lately

Years ago while on night shift with the PD and visiting the nurses at the Emergency Room at one of the hospitals in my beat I happened to notice a young nurse writing a letter in a language I was unfamiliar with; turned out to be Czechoslovakian. She didn’t mind my looking over her shoulder as she explained it was a letter to her grandmother.

I pretended to read the first line of her letter as if I understood each word, “Dear Grandmother; Sorry I’ve not written lately…” The young nurse turned around with a huge smile on her face, “So, you can read Czech?”, believing I had translated rather than guessed what was on that first line. I thought it was standard in any language to apologize for having neglected those you care about by not keeping in touch.

I haven’t written much this week other than a few comments here and there to other blogger’s articles. I’ve kept informed on some of the news items, political and other, which normally I’d put in my two cents worth; but for one reason or another lacked the internal spark necessary to do a proper rant.

I posted a picture, one recovered from my collection of old slides taken on a trip to Big Bend back in the early 1970’s. I find a certain fascination looking in the side mirror and taking a picture; a clarity and focus not offered any other way; a little like hind sight and foresight perhaps. This particular photograph shows the road to Boquillas around sunset, the vehicle is my old 1974 Chevy truck which served as our living quarters while on vacation and my locksmith shop the rest of the time.

I found an interesting read this past week, some internal memos from the Clinton White House were made public by Judicial Watch; having verified that which I had suspected for quite some time, those who hold an opposing view to the Clintons will be dealt with through character assassination or any other means which will invalidate and destroy them publicly.

“Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said, “These documents paint a disturbing picture of how Hillary Clinton and the Clinton administration approached health care reform – secrecy, smears, and the misuse of government computers to track private and political information on citizens.” I ask anyone with half a brain to consider what’s at stake as the next presidential election looms in the not too distant future, “Do we really want to turn the White House over to these Machiavellian jackals?”

Col. Hogan at Wayne’s Dirty Lab listed A Few Pithy Quickies, hope you recognize the wisdom shared. I liked the warning from Thomas Jefferson, “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.” There was another, “Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”, but I’ve talked about the Clintons already; no reason to repeat myself.

Dana at Principled Discovery asks the question, “Do we need a parental rights amendment?” and I would hope you consider the information provided prior to blurting out a quick yes or no response. There is a line included in her article which addresses my concerns nearly to the letter, “This issue is a difficult one for me, because I find within myself two opposing view points. I am leery of amendments. Regardless of their wording and intended purpose.”


Jay at Stop the ACLU posted, “Fred Thompson: The Constitution is Not a Living, Breathing Document.”. Once again pointing to the fact that some who claim to be conservatives while running for the Republican presidential nomination sure do seem to be on the wrong ballot. Fred Thompson responded to an interview by one of the other presidential candidates:


“This morning I heard that one of the other candidates commented that the Constitution is a “living, breathing document.”

Frankly, I assumed this came from Senator Clinton or Senator Obama. It is identical to what Al Gore said when he was running for President in 2000, when he said he would look for judges “who understand that our Constitution is a living, breathing document, that it was intended by our founders to be interpreted in the light of the constantly evolving experience of the American people.”

Imagine my surprise when I learned that this statement actually came from my opponent, Governor Huckabee, in an interview with CNN this morning. Now I know Governor Huckabee was talking about amending the Constitution, but I don’t think he understood that he was using code words that support judicial activism.”

Go read the rest of the article and tell me Fred Thompson isn’t the most qualified conservative. The polling numbers don’t seem to match the characters running; I’ll never understand politics, but then again neither does anyone in the polling business. I have a novel idea, when it comes time to vote; pull the lever and then wait until the next day to determine who won.

That should do for now, sorry I took so long getting a new article out for you. I got tired of looking at the stupid Cheshire Cat and had to put something in its place.


No comments: