Saturday, March 08, 2008

Wait 15 Minutes


Around here in Houston there’s a saying, “If you don’t like the weather all you need to do is wait 15 minutes.” While that may not be exactly true or accurate, there is something to the notion.

The other day I was waiting for a customer to show up at his job where he’d lost the keys to his vehicle so he could drive home after getting off as a truck driver. He was late because a crane used to load his delivery truck had broken which put him behind schedule. I decided to polish my work truck to kill the time even knowing the forecast was predicting rain; not just rain but severe weather. We were under a watch for tornadoes, high winds, hail, lots of thunder and lightning; other than that it was a perfect time to polish my truck and shake the floor mats.

I keep some soft cloths and polish in my truck and got to work. The weather was moving in fast as I finished, a few bolts of lightning followed by a low rumble off in the distance. Lucy called and was wondering where I was as she sat at the computer watching the line of storms move across town on the monitor; lots of yellow and red patches to indicate heavy rains and violent weather cells. I was out near the airport in a warehouse row as the rains hit. I took a few pictures as the beads of water formed on my nice clean truck.

Last night it got down close to the freeze mark; but with the crystal clear sky it warmed quickly which permitted the washing of all the vehicles. The truck only needed a toweling down after I blasted it with the hose since I’d polished it the other day. The little green Z was about the same since I keep it polished most of the time.

The reflection off the hood reminded me of the nature album we like to play on Sunday mornings. There are scenes of landscapes reflected off of lakes, ponds and streams showing the bent images created by the temporary surfaces as the water rippled. The hood of my Z can do similar things, another reason I enjoy that car; it looks good just sitting still.

( Google/Blooger was having techincal troubles while I attempted to load the second picture. I'll have to add it at a later time. I guess Wait 15 Minutes applies to Blogging as well as the weather. )


No comments: