Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful to Know God

I was reading Thanksgiving Day quotes posted by Tony on Red Mind in a Blue State and found a couple that hit home runs.

““Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence. ~Erma Bombeck”

That one made me laugh, something about the humor of Erma Bombeck hits home with suburban America. She had a book out years ago, “The grass grows greener over the septic tank”; hope I got the title right, funny stuff.

Tony had several other quotes worth reading but one got me thinking about the spirit of gratitude expressed by those in dire circumstances, those who might otherwise curse God for having abandoned them to die.

“The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer”

I remember reading a talk given by Elder Robert L. Backman, “Faith in Every Footset” , as part of the 150th celebration of the Mormon pioneers trek to the Salt Lake valley. I should note that when I first began my own conversion process to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I knew next to nothing other than my less than perfect image of pioneers crossing the great wilderness in wagons.

Over the years I have come to appreciate the enormous tests and trials which the Mormon pioneers faced; both physical and spiritual. I first learned about the Martin Handcart group, poor immigrants unable to afford a wagon who crossed the entire distance pulling what could easily be compared to a wheel barrow. The Martin Handcart folks got trapped in a terrible winter storm; many of them froze to death, suffered loss of limb to frostbite, starvation and crushing blows that today would seem impossible to overcome.

We need to be stronger people this Thanksgiving, we need to be grateful, not only for the bounties provided; but for the challenges we face as well. The pilgrims faced death and had to dig graves at night so the natives wouldn’t know how many folks they were up against; “…nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving.” That reminded me of what Elder Backman had quoted from David O. McKay:

“In a Sunday School class there was sharp criticism of the ill-fated Martin and Willie Handcart Companies, which met with tragedy because of their late start on the trek to the Salt Lake Valley.


An elderly man arose and said: “I ask you to stop this criticism. You are discussing a matter you know nothing about. Cold historic facts … give no proper interpretation of the questions involved. Mistake to send the Handcart Company out so late in the season? Yes. But I was in that company and my wife … too. We suffered beyond anything you can imagine and many died of exposure and starvation, but … we became acquainted with [God] in our extrem[i]ties.

“I have pulled my handcart when I was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that I could hardly put one foot ahead of the other. I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and I have said, I can go that far and there I must give up, for I cannot pull the load through it. … I have gone on to that sand and when I reached it, the cart began pushing me. I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one. I knew then that the angels of God were there.

“Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart? No. Neither then nor any minute of my life since. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin Handcart Company” (as quoted in David O. McKay, “Pioneer Women,” The Relief Society Magazine, Jan. 1948, 8).”

So, don’t tell me how bad it is; be thankful for what you’ve been given. If things get really tough; your health fails, you have to bury a family member or they come to take your house and car, remember; these are opportunities to get to know God. We don’t grow in character when times are easy; no, growth comes from being tested. That is how we come to appreciate God and the mortality which He has provided for us. Maybe this is why hearing folks call it Turkey Day rubs me the wrong way.

No comments: