Thursday, July 30, 2009

Should Have Washed the Truck


We had a 20% chance of scattered showers in the Houston area today; but as Maxwell Smart would have said, “Missed me by this much.” I could have washed the truck when I passed one of my regular car dealerships; but I could see the thunderstorm off to the north moving our way; should have washed the truck, we never saw a drop of it.

I did get out the lawn mower for the front yard this afternoon. It was better than watching the Astros do a face plant at Wrigley Field for the second day in a row. It’s a good thing the wind was going the other way; they were stinking up the place.

I made keys for a woman this morning, a friend of one of my regular accounts so I went easy on the price and it was still expensive since it was a transponder key which had to be programmed to her Jeep Liberty. She already knew the price I quoted was better than she’d get elsewhere, all the same she felt compelled to cry on my shoulder about how she just got out of the hospital, her dog was sick, she’d been robbed at her house, somebody stole her purse and on and on. I guess if she was any worse off I’d feel bad and give her a better price; not gonna’ happen.

I asked her, tongue in cheek, “Would it make you feel any better if I punched you in the nose, let the blood run for a bit and then cut the key?” I don’t think she had a sense of humor as the words landed on her ear. I had to laugh for the both of us until she figured out that I was messing with her, trying to let her know that it could be worse.

By the time I arrived to do the job she’d mellowed enough to smile as I handed her my business card. Life is good when you stop to appreciate it. I hope her day went better than it started out; I know mine did.

No comments: