Monday, November 23, 2009

Screen Savers - Getting Spoiled


I was remembering a screen saver program that I enjoyed many years ago when the Personal Computer was in its infancy. It was part of a package of screen savers made for computers that did silly things like green monsters that bounced around for awhile making gross noises until it would explode and start all over; but the one I was thinking of had a forest scene. On Thanksgiving the internal clock of the program triggered a magic button and all the little fir trees in the forest somehow were trimmed with Christmas lights that lighted up and stayed that way until Christmas or some extended time thereafter; been a while so I could be off on the ending time.

I thought about looking for that old time screen saver program; but couldn’t figure out where to start, there being so many new screen savers now. I found one that made me smile, a 3-D Four Seasons image that has a changing landscape with mountains, trees, a lake and birds flying all around. When it kicked in the leaves changed from summer to fall, leaves dropped and then the snows came to make the lake freeze over and the mountains were covered with snow. A few minutes later the ice melted, birds returned along with new green leaves; quite a production for a free program.

If anyone remembers the program I was referring to, it had a toaster with wings on the original package; probably made for Windows 3 or some other ancient Windows platform, see if that is still available. I’d love to have some of those older screen savers from an age when simple graphics were accepted and revered as something of a miracle; these newer ones are spoiling me.

No comments: