Thursday, February 25, 2010

Run that by me again…

Sifting through the blogosphere this morning, I ran across an interesting blip on the screen. Say Uncle , a blog which keeps me up to date on 2nd Amendment issues and other firearms related subjects, found a quote which bears remembering:

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity”


—-President Abraham Lincoln

Isn’t that great, almost like the stuff we get from the New York Times or other solid main stream media outlets. I’m glad Al Gore invented the internet or gems like that might have been lost.

"Speaking of health care reform”; at one time I had a partner who would change the subject when he figured the previous one had been talked out, so, speaking of healthcare reform , Nancy Pelosi had this to say:

“Inaction and incrementalism are simply unacceptable.” Imagine, setting the tone at the opening of a summit intended to reconcile differences between the Democratic (socialist) agenda on health care reform with the GOP ( * ) ( which could mean Republican or Conservative; it might even include the wistful Tea Party movement, what ever that is ) Madam ( a term reserved for ladies of the night who pander their wares ) Pelosi could easily have said, “You ‘other’ folks go sit down in the back some where and try not to get in the way.”

If the progressive movement is to take advantage of this moment in time, a moment when they have a significant majority and a chance to pass anti-American legislation, that means socialism for anyone not paying enough attention to the shift in language over the past several years, the self declared crisis in health care reform must be acted upon without delay, or from what I’ve observed; clarity of thought as pertain to constitutional restrictions on government usurpation of power.

Have I mentioned my tendency to extend sentences into paragraph form as a means of punctuating my thoughts? English teachers tried their best and failed, not because I didn’t know better; I enjoy run on sentences, they’re much more fun than following the rules.

I just realized, I could become a congressman; “Rules, we don’t need no stinkin’ rules; that constitution thing just gets in the way.”

Obama himself spoke into the microphone at the opening of this mornings dog and pony show, “We all know that this is urgent”. There ya’ have it, direct from the “Mr. Never Let a Crisis Pass” himself. It must be urgent, the president said so; it’s settled.

I don’t get it, the whole idea of “our” health care system being broken. 85% of Americans are covered by some form of health care, either self insured or through their employer and, for the most part, are satisfied with the results while the other 15% fall into the “It’s Broken!” part of health care reform. That just doesn’t feel like a national crisis worthy of destroying a free market system that is working for the other 85% of the people.

Maybe the crisis has to do with who is in charge of the system, a free market or government; but that would mean throwing away America’s foundations in favor of socialism and everyone knows that socialism has failed where ever it has been implemented. I just don’t get it.

There are several issues that bother me regarding health care reform; but I’ll try to boil them down to a limited few.

Constitutionally speaking, Congress and Obama are demanding that almost any piece of entitlement legislation, health care reform leading the way, be paid for through some form of taxation. Those able to pay taxes; however, the folks who are being told they will be paying (*) are being told to shut up and sit down.

My friend David over at Third World County has, as his banner, “In a democracy (‘rule by mob’), those who refuse to learn from history are in the majority and dictate that everyone else suffer for their ignorance.”-third world county’s corollary to Santayana’s Axiom” That about covers what has happened to our Republican form of government.

Next on the list of issues would be the spiraling debt being created by our “responsible” and honorable leaders. What kind of idiot actually believes that spending money we don’t have will solve our problem of being in debt? Suppose, just for a moment, that such a mindset wasn’t totally corrupt and spending money we didn’t have wouldn’t come back to bite us in the butt because we knew we’d all die before that debt could be collected, is it morally acceptable to pass such a debt on to the next generation?

If you answered, maybe or I’m not sure you probably have an Obama for President bumper sticker proudly displayed on your car. No is the answer; it’s neither rational to spend money that isn’t available nor is it morally acceptable to expect the next generation to pay for such irresponsible expenditures.

Last on today’s list, certainly not the end of issues with how government has taken on powers never intended or permitted by our constitution, the use of the word ‘reconciliation’ with regard to health care reform, a supposed debate on the merits of various party affiliation and the not to be mentioned use of the ‘nuclear option’, a way to bypass any Republican attempt at filibuster should any meaningful negotiations fail to materialize. What a load of horse dung, pardon the expression.

Reconciliation, when used in the congressional sense, was intended to preserve a working government when budgetary issues could not be resolved; it was never meant to skirt open debate on important social issues. To call for an underhanded measure like the ‘nuclear option’ reconciliation adds to the lack of transparency in government, one of the thorns which stick in the voter’s side and cause frustration each time congress is in session holding closed door meetings, dealing under the table to accomplish acts which are both improper and immoral.

Other than that today will bring sunshine and joy to everyone, back to you Chet.

2 comments:

Starsplash said...

A huge act of desperation.

MK said...

"....is it morally acceptable to pass such a debt on to the next generation?"

Off course now, but then we're asking that question of the wrong group. After all when they're not trying to steal our freedom and impoverish us, they're busy knocking off the next generation before they're born.